Thursday, July 8, 2010

Today was another nice day. I think maybe, just maybe I was able to connect with one of the girls, Nomkhitha, who was obviously not thrilled to be here – always trying to get onto facebook during class, attitude, etc. She really is a good poet and has some wonderful ideas, so I tried to encourage her and shared a poem I’d written with her. I also spent a long time talking with Wisani and Mongezi – two verbivores – who asked me questions about all kinds of words and their correct use. Mongezi has a notebook where he writes down new words that he comes across and he then tries to use them in his everyday writing and speaking. Some of the other students get frustrated with him because he uses such big words in his poem (though correctly) and they can’t understand what he’s saying. Their poetry is beautiful.


Marc and John finished their project today and it looks great! I walked out to take pictures and could hear all the boys singing. It was awesome. They also sing on their way to the bus...I could listen to them sing all day.

Tonight we go to watch the Spain v Germany match at Stacey's house...this is a really nice girl we met when we were at The Loft about a week ago. We have a driver coming to get us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment