Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 5 -- Friday, July 2
We headed out in the morning with two of LEAP’s math and science teachers– – the ever-smiling and be-speckled Nyalugway and the more serious Lizweet (both immigrants from Zimbabwa)to Pretoria’s zoo. Neither of them had ever been before, so they were having to stop the car pretty regularly, sometimes in the middle of the street, to ask for directions. We were all sitting in the backseat, slightly mortified as cars were honking at us to get moving. It was really funny to listen to them trying to figure it all out – I hope we didn’t seem rude, but we were pretty entertained by it all – or at least I was.


At the zoo, I got to see some animals that I hadn’t seen before, particularly in the reptile and aquarium section, like crocodiles, an electric eel, and more that I can’t remember the names of -- and of course having John there to provide some background information about the animals was wonderful.

This was a great time for John and Marc to get to know the teachers that they would be working with while we are here.
We had lunch and once again Marc jumped right in to trying African food. This time it was something called pup – which is kindof like really thick grits but looks like mashed potatoes– made of fine corn meal and boiled – and then covered in meat sauce and meat. The drive home was really fun too, just chatting with the guys – they both make me laugh so much. I am, once again, so thankful to have them with me.
That evening, Sarah came by and drove us to Melville, about 30 minutes from the school and near one of the major universities. We went to a local bar to watch the Ghana v Uruguay game…what an unforgettable experience. It would have been even more unforgettable if Ghana had won, but it was a great game nonetheless. After Ghana scored the first goal just at the end of the first half, the place erupted in cheers, chants of “Ghana! Ghana!” and the song “Allez, Allez” throughout the half time break The end of course was heartbreaking, with a missed penalty kick in the last seconds and then the tie-breaking penalty kicks where Uruguay ended up winning. I really came to appreciate soccer last night, in how it can unify and create great pride in a people. I sat next to a very nice girl from Belgium named Mary who was getting her Ph.d in Education, researching the racial issue/ diversity in education (or something like that – it was so loud that it became difficult to hear what she was saying). After the game, we headed next door to a bar called The Loft, where there was live music – basically an extended jam-fest where musicians ebbed and flowed throughout the evening. We went upstairs to the actual loft, where the musicians were playing and I felt super uncomfortable at first because I felt like I wasn’t supposed to be there, like I had just popped into someone’s living room (there were couches scattered around the edges of the loft, with the musicians playing in the middle and front), but eventually, as I got to talk to some of the people around me, I felt very comfortable. I met and chatted with a girl named Stacy, who is here for the World Cup, working with the companies who purchase the advertisements that surround the soccer fields. She’s from Los Gatos, CA – so funny to be in SA and run into a fellow Californian. After a while, as Marc and John turned on their charm and met more of the people up in the loft, I was pulled into conversations and was able to meet some other people as well – all very friendly and so appreciative of what we’re doing with LEAP. We finally made it back home at 3 AM.

It’s interesting to be on the other end of the minority/majority thing. We are definitely the minority, though quite honestly I am aware of it only occasionally. There have been several times where in looking around, John, Marc, Sarah, and I are the only white people around – but I don’t ever feel threatened or awkward. Everyone we've met so far has been so welcoming and kind. From what Sarah says, the whites are still generally very racist here, but the blacks don’t seem to harbor any noticeable grudges. Sarah says she has a really difficult time interacting with most of the whites here because of their overt racism – and that most of her friends here are black. I can see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment