Monday, June 21, 2010

HTHI 11th grade creative writing project!
In preparation for this trip, I've enlisted the aid of my wonderful 11th grade students. Their last project for the year was a creative writing assignment where they had to communicate through poetry, short stories, spoken word, plays...anything! what life is like for them as a teenager in the US...keeping in mind that their audience is teens in South Africa, and trying to find a connection -- what do teens have in common all around the world? I've been so touched and amazed by their thoughtful, honest responses...and have been moved to tears several times. We have collected all of their work onto a classroom blog. Here's the link if you're interested:
http://english3hthi.blogspot.com/

My hope is to start a conversation between these two groups. I hope to have the students in SA do a similar writing project where they try to communicate with my students what life is like for them in SA. Ultimately I would like to compile their responses into a book, along with their photos and art. Marc Shulman, one of the other teachers going has somehow found 66 disposable cameras to bring with us so that the students their can document their lives...way cool!

One week to go and I'll be on a plane -- for 24 hrs. I can't wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment